Steering & Suspension Repair
Committed Since Day One
Hi, I’m Marty Fay, the owner of Motor Works. With feelings ranging from terror to elation, I first opened the doors to DeKalb and Northern Illinois customers in March, 1984. From day one, our purpose was to be a one-stop-shop, offering every conceivable automotive service. A critical part of that commitment was and still is providing expert steering and suspension repair. To that end we have three ASE Master Certified Specialists on staff.
What Is Steering?
It sounds like a simple question, but isn’t. Steering combines dozens and dozens of parts that connect the steering wheel to the tires. These parts are in constant motion, take a beating, and commonly wear out.
One key item, the tie rod end, has a very unpleasant failure cycle. When worn enough it breaks. This causes an instant loss of steering and all control over the direction the car goes. Yes, the consequences can be dire.
What Is Suspension?
Two examples give a solid understanding.
1) Imagine riding in a child’s toy wagon. A three inch pavement bump encountered at any kind of speed may eject you clear out of the wagon. Why? The bump is transmitted directly to the rider. Nothing softens it. No suspension.
2) Imagine a pogo stick. Its spring is all suspension. So much so it is almost uncontrolled. Note: shock absorbers help control springy suspensions.
- Inspect both steering and suspension every oil change or sooner if noises or odd behavior develop.
- Don’t delay repairs and use top quality parts. Cheap parts here are just too risky.
- Have the work done by trained, expert technicians. Don’t endanger yourself or your family with cut rate labor.
If you have any doubts about your steering or suspension, we will be happy to check it for free. Please see Schedule Today below.
Customer satisfaction is our top priority. To all the folks in DeKalb and Northern Illinois, we hope you’ll let us prove it. If you would like to schedule an appointment, you can do so online or call us at (815) 756-2882 to speak to our friendly staff.
For more detail, animated illustrations and movies on steering and suspension, please click on the following colored NAPA Service Assistant Link, and then click on Steering under the Preventive Maintenance Heading and Suspension under the Repair Heading.
NAPA Service Assistant