To Our Surprise We Opened Two Shops In 1984
March 1984 saw Motor Works open its doors to service DeKalb and Northern Illinois. To our surprise, we realized a few months later we had actually opened two shops.
The first Motor Works repaired and serviced our customer’s daily drivers. Cars and trucks, both domestic and import rolled through our doors. We performed every repair under the sun; oil changes, electrical, differential, chassis, suspension, loads of heavy engine work, and more.
However, with a reputation for honest, careful, and reasonably priced work established, our customers would soon ask if we could repair their precious classic cars. Cars they would trust to nobody else. Of course we said yes, and Motor Works Classic Car Division was born.
Then They Came
Classic car buffs talk to each other. In short order a trickle became a flood. We would soon see:
- American Muscle Cars, Classic Trucks, and beautiful old sedans
- 60’s and 70’s VW’s and Mercedes,
- Italian Sportsters Fiat and Alpha Romeo
- British Classics including Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, Jensen Healy, Bug Eyed Sprites, MG’s
- And of course, Triumphs
First in were Spitfires with their lovely Italian designed bodies. Then the muscular TR6’s started to arrive; their dual carb six cylinder engines making heavenly mechanical music. Finally, in 2012, the stunning and aggressive GT6 would greet our astonished eyes.
The Triumph GT6; Spitfire And TR6 Combined
Another Italian designed beauty, this time a fast-back, the GT6 first started production in 1966. The car was based on the light Spitfire chassis. Early models shared the Spitfire’s forward hinged hood and transmission. But powering the car was not the Spitfire four cylinder engine, but a 2.0L version of the TR6 2.5L dual carb six cylinder motor.
A GT6 Is Our Largest Restoration Project Ever
An owner had a vision, an amazing vision, and Motor Works would bring that vision to life. He wanted a ground up restoration on his GT6. By the time we were done:
- The car would be totally striped and the interior and exterior painted
- Complete suspension and steering overhauls would be performed
- A 2.5L TR6 engine would be shoehorned into place
- A Ford Type 9 five speed transmission conversion would follow the engine
- The differential would be overhauled and strengthened
- A gorgeous new British interior would be installed
- Innumerable additional tweaks and custom changes would be added
- All to be followed by a signature right hand power bulge place on the hood to define this one-of-a-kind Monster
I Could Write A Book
This project was so huge I could write a book on it. Wait a minute? I did write a book on it! An eBook, and it’s pretty cool; full of humor, technical detail, and automotive drama. You can download it for free. Go to our Classic Car Tab, scroll down a little way and click on Triumph GT6 Restoration.
No Service Too Little, No Repair Too Big
We offer everything from light bulbs to transmission overhauls, tire rotation to motor repair and performance tuning. Triumph owners in DeKalb and Northern Illinois choose Motor Works because of our reputation for excellence, we hope you’ll choose us too.
If you would like to bring your Triumph in for repair or service please schedule an appointment online or call us at 815-756-2882 to speak with our friendly staff.